Friday, May 19, 2017

Frank and Matt


Frank vs Matt is a concept I came up with to help demonstrate the two camps or categories (or models) that us marketers operate within.

Although Frank and Matt are not real “flesh and blood” people per se — their traits are absolutely real and based on real people.

You’re currently one of them.

Which one? … well, you’ll need to read and discover that.

But know this … one of them makes no money online (nothing meaningful anyway). The other one crushes it.
Meet Frank:

well, I say “part-time”, but I’ve really been “dabbling” in internet marketing since 2008. that’s what? … a little over 9 years now I guess.which is like forever in internet years :)

i do many different things online. difficult to explain really. i’m what you’d call a “jack of all trades”. lol :p
Meet Matt:

like my buddy frank, i’ve been doing this crazy internet marketing thing since 2008. the beginning was difficult as hell. but as soon as i realized a few “truths” – it got a whole lot easier.

i now run an online business called ‘sexy you inc’.

we serve various tribes of women within sub-niches of the weight loss and beauty markets.
Decisions
Recently I read a book by the late Paul Arden (the former creative director for Saatchi and Saatchi at the height of their advertising might).
One of the things he wrote, is worth mentioning here:



I’m going to circle back to this quote at the end. Why I’ve written it will make perfect sense then. It’s important … for you.

But let me first continue to explain the big DIFFERENCE between Frank and Matt.
Brief Backstory
You see … back in October 2003 I was thrown into the deep end. I was made redundant. Like millions of others I had become “replaceable”.

But a few months earlier I had seen the writing on the wall.

Rumors were circulating. That management was going to cull a bunch of staff at the end of the year.

Right then and there … I made a decision that completely changed my life.

I didn’t take the safe road, like everyone else in the office. You know, start looking for another job — then jump ship when one was found.

I’m certainly not judging them. But for me, I wanted to hit the reset button on how I earned a living.

I was 29 years old. I was foolish and hungry enough to believe I was brave.

So I took the risky decision.

I found the guts to roll the dice

I had absolutely no idea what the hell I was going to do. I just knew I didn’t want a boss. I didn’t want to commute three freakin’ hours a day to work and back.

So I went looking online.

The BIG CULL came two months early, on October 22nd, 2003.

I wasn’t exactly ready. No one was.

But then I guess, looking back — I prob’ly would have never been completely ready.

The “chop” didn’t take long. Prob’ly two hours tops.

I can’t remember how many colleagues were given their marching orders. But our entire department, bar one, were told:
“Thanks pal, but we no longer need ya! …”
Everyone was mad, frustrated,
CLICK TO CONTINUE

No comments:

Post a Comment